The under-the-radar skincare ingredient the most overlooked, Azelaic Acid. When we talk about skincare ingredients that are formulated to combat acne Azelaic is not among the top five.
I must say it took my sister to introduce me to Azelaic Acid. I was not for the change, I still had high hopes in my benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid. Of which I started not seeing the result in recent months. I was starting to get frustrated by that so Azelaic Acid came in the nick of time.
There is no secret that I have my fair share of acne and have used every product you could think of Azelaic Acid has healed my skin.
Here is why.
- Azelaic acid is a compound found in wheat, rye and barley that can help treat acne and rosacea because it soothes inflammation.
- Azelaic acid treats sunspots and melasma because it blocks the production of “abnormal pigmentation.
- Azelaic acid is also a tyrosinase inhibitor, meaning it can prevent hyperpigmentation because it interferes with melanin production.
- Azelaic acid is a more gentle exfoliant than other alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs), including glycolic, lactic and mandelic acids.
- It generally can be combined with other products because azelaic acid is a stable molecule. eg niacinamide, hydroxy acids or antioxidants.
I had to change my skincare routine, discontinuing the use of Beta Hydroxy Acids (BHAs) like salicylic acid as both BHAs and AHAs will increase the chances of dryness and irritation.
It’s not recommended to layer azelaic acid.
Another element that has changed is my religious use of sunscreen.
When you are using azelaic acid, you definitely should be consistent about applying sunscreen.
Low levels of UV light can promote pigmentation. Sunscreen is the final step in my nighttime skincare routine. To prevent any levels of UV light I can to exposed to in a form of digital devices.
Needless to say, my skin never looked so good in a very long time. I have had good skincare products that have worked but azelaic acid is by far the best I have tried.
Tell me if you have loved or tried azelaic acid.